OTTAWA – The North Dundas Minor Hockey Association put two teams into the world-renowned Bell Capital Cup tournament in Ottawa last week.

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the tournament is the world’s biggest, featuring close to 500 teams from around the globe. Both local teams made deep runs into the tournament with the Atom “B” squad losing in the finals and the “C” Demons losing in the semi-finals.

Atom “B” House Demons
The Atom “B” House squad took on Nepean in their opening game, picking up a 4-0 victory.

The Demons opened the scoring in the first period when Cole Van Lanen put the puck past Nepean goalie Hunter Brown. Gabrielle Cotnam picked up the assist on the goal.

The scoring continued 22 seconds into the second period when Van Lanen netted his second goal of the game.

Shortly later, Merrick Crawford then extended the Demons’ lead off of a pass from Michael Theos.

Crawford picked up his second goal in the third period to close out the game. Luka Drouineurts added the assist.

Demons vs. Almonte-Pakenham
In their second game of the tournament, the Demons pummeled Almonte-Pakenham 8-0.

Josh Lafrance was the player of the game for North Dundas, picking up five goals and an assist.

Lafrance scored the Demons’ first four goals of the game getting assists from Reid Rankin, Cotnam, Connor England, Theos, Brody Buttivant and Kaiden West.

The Demons sealed the blowout victory in the third period, getting goals from Van Lanen, Crawford and Carter Latimer.

Demons vs. Leitrim
The Demons headed into their game against Leitrim on Fri., Dec. 29 having allowed no goals. That streak would continue, as they posted a 3-0 win against the opposing Hawks.

The Demons opened the first period with two goals coming from Crawford and Van Lanen. Patrick Guy added the assist on Van Lanen’s goal.

After a scoreless second period, Bennett Wasylko Fletcher sealed the victory with a goal. Van Lanen and Michael Theos tallied assists.

Demons vs. Rockland
West held Rockland scoreless as the team cruised to a 4-0 victory in their first of two games on Sat., Dec. 30.

Van Lanen fired up the Demons’ offence in the first as he zipped the puck past Rockland goalie Brody Moyer.

Gavin Copeland put the Demons up by a pair 50 seconds into the second period, getting an assist from Crawford.

The Demons closed out the game with a couple of goals from Wasylko-Fletcher and Cotnam.

Demons vs. Stittsville
In the semi-finals against Stittsville, the Demons allowed their first goal of the tournament, but managed a 5-1 victory.

After Stittsville scored 3:07 into the first period, Luka Drouineurts evened the score up at ones shortly later.

The Demons pulled away in the second and third periods on their way to the finals of the tournament. Buttivant, Crawford (2) and Lafrance all added the remaining goals to the scoreboard.

Demons vs. Brockville
The Demons met their match in the final against Brockville, ultimately falling in a close 3-2 overtime loss.

Crawford opened the scoring 2:35 into the game for the Demons. However, Brockville’s Mason Hodge scored his first of three goals to tie the game.

Hodge netted his second of the game in the second as the Braves carried a 2-1 lead into the final period.

Lafrance tied the game 7:35 into the third, a goal that sent the game into overtime.

Hodge completed his hat trick, scoring unassisted to capture the tournament title for the Braves.

Atom “C” House Demons
The Atom “C” House team squared off with the North Glen-Stor Braves to open the tournament, falling 8-3.

The Braves opened the scoring when Rowan Smith put two goals in the Demons’ net in the first period.

The Demons came within a goal to close out the first period when Shawn Hollister scored for North Dundas. Wyatt Bowers and Kingsley Raistrick added assists.

After a pair of Braves’ goals, Bowers scored a pair of goals with assists from Raistrick and Dylan Carkner.

The Braves dominated the scoring in the third period, putting three goals in the Demons net.

Demons vs. Nepean Flames
The Demons found their stride in the second game as they defeated Nepean 13-0.

The Demons opened the first period getting four goals from four different players (Logan Stewart, Bowers, Cody Lesage and Carkner).

Heading into the second period, the Demons would put up five goals to further increase their lead. Kylie Lesage netted a goal 31 seconds into the second period off of a pass from Stewart. Shortly later, Carkner added his second of the game from Bowers and Lesage.  After a pair of goals from Michael Dean, Stewart scored his second of three goals to close out the middle frame. The third period saw Lesage get two more goals with singles added by Stewart and Hollister.

Demons vs. Carleton Place
After the blowout win earlier, the Demons faced a tougher Carleton Place team, grabbing a 2-0 victory.

Carkner opened the scoring the second period to give the Demons an early lead. Kylie Lesage added the assist.

Logan Stewart sealed the win in the third period as he put the puck past the Carleton Place goalie. Carkner picked up the assist on the goal.

Demons vs. Stittsville
The torrid Demons offence was on display yet again during a 7-0 rout over Stittsville.

North Dundas scored three times in the game’s opening five minutes to jump out to an early lead. Kylie Lesage scored the game’s first goal while Logan Stewart netted the next three goals.

Michael Dean scored eight seconds into the third period off of a pass from Kalli Rose Hicks.

After Stewart scored his fourth goal, Bowers added his lone tally of the game. Reid Smith had an assist on the goal.

Demons vs. North Glen-Stor
The Demons faced their league rivals from NGS in the semi-finals of the tournament, falling 4-2.

Carkner opened the first period scoring, getting an assist from Kylie Lesage.

NGS responded shortly as Hayden Darling tied the game at 1-1.

In the second period, NGS pulled ahead as Alexandre Simon and Darling both scored.

Bowers brought the Demons within a goal to close out the second period.

Darling scored his third goal to complete his hat trick and send NGS to the finals.