Freeda Harper

Freeda Harper, a lifetime resident of the area, passed away peacefully at Winchester District Memorial Hospital on Wed., Nov. 12, 2008, with her family by her side. She was 87.
She was born in Osnabruck Township on May 18, 1921 to Arthur and Mertie Heagle (nee Crites). She married Donald Harper on Oct. 3, 1938 in Winchester, and together they had one son Reginald.
Freeda thrived on being a wife and mother, and nothing on her table was store bought. She believed in raising children on homecooking, and she was an incredible cook and baker. She will be remembered for her pickles, chili sauce, baked beans, squares, and homemade candy. She never went to anyone’s home empty handed. She would always cook or bake something to add to the dinner. She never missed an outing, and she jumped at every opportunity to go somewhere, whether it be to the slots, bid euchre, seniors dinners, cards, bingo, or just up to town to visit with her friends.
Family was the most important thing in her life. She loved spending time with her family, especially her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She lit up with joy when they were around, and she took great pride in watching them all grow up and eventually have families and homes of their own.
She was predeceased by her husband Donald and her son Reg. She is survived by her daughter-in-law Nadene Harper of Winchester, her grandchildren Derek (Danita) Harper, Darlene (Aron) Sherrer, her great-grandchildren Tyson, Taylor, and Cam Sherrer, and her siblings Lyle Heagle of Finch, Elva Collingridge of Winchester, Keitha (Frank) Crites of Ingleside, and Norma (Les) Crites of Ingleside. She was predeceased by a brother Graham Heagle, and sisters Vera Armstrong, Thelma Moyse, Edna Harper, and Greta Bailey. She is also survived by nieces and nephews.
There was no visitation at the funeral home. A graveside service was held at Maple Ridge Cemetery in Chesterville on Sat., Nov. 15 with Rev. Thurland Brown officiating.
Donations to Winchester District Memorial Hospital would be appreciated by the family.
Arrangements were entrusted to the Marsden and McLaughlin Funeral Home in Williamsburg.