A lifetime resident of the Morrisburg area, Aldema Merrikin (nee Phillips) passed away at the Winchester District Memorial Hospital on Mon., April 8, 2002 after a brief illness. She was 83 years of age.
Born in Froatburn on Aug. 17, 1918, she was the eldest daughter and second child of Hattie Bradley and Earl Phillips. She had three brothers and two sisters: Carl, Denzil, Ruth, Kenneth andJoyce. Her father was the water manager for the towns of Morrisburg and the family lived in the pump house on the canal bank.
In her late teens, Mrs. Merrikin went to Hamilton to live with the Mehlenbacher family. She was a “nanny” to the Mehlenbacher children while she attended business college in Hamilton. Upon returning to Morrisburg, she met a young man from the Williamsburg area named Ernie Merrikin through Luther League. They were married at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church Manse in Morrisburg on Sept. 19, 1942 and Mrs. Merrikin became a farmer’s wife on a farm west of Williamsburg. Together they were blessed with three daughters: Betty, Sandra and Margie.
Mrs. Merrikin was a very busy lady in those days because she would rise early to milk cows, worked side by side with Mr. Merrikin on the farm throughout the day and still managed to carry out all of her household duties. She always had a huge vegetable garden in which she grew rows of beans, potatoes, peas, etc.
Mr. and Mrs. Merrikin sold the farm in the early 1970s and moved to 21 Third St., Morrisburg. Mr. Merrikin died in December 1988, but Mrs. Merrikin was able to remain in her own home right up until her recent illness. She was a proud and loving “Nanny” and she was thrilled with every one of her grandchildren’s achievements. She loved their energetic nature and she always made time for them, whether it was to teach them the fine art of making pies or the joy of spending some spare time fishing.
Mrs. Merrikin was a member of St. Paul’s Lutheran Church during her childhood, a member of St. Peter’s Lutheran Church, Williamsburg during her years living on the farm, and returned to St. Paul’s as a parishioner when she and Mr. Merrikin moved back to Morrisburg. She was an enthusiastic member of the St. Paul’s Lutheran Church Women’s quilting group right up until she became ill a short time ago. Mrs. Merrikin was a quiet, self-sufficient woman who enjoyed a long, productive life. She enjoyed life on the farm and she enjoyed her children and grandchildren. She was an unusual mother-in-law in that she never interfered or passed judgement in the affairs of her daughters and their spouses.
Mrs. Merrikin will be sadly missed by daughters Betty (Garth) Hazlett of Toronto, Sandra Merrikin (Gordon “David” Wolford) of Nepean and Margie (John) DeJong of Nepean. Nanny will always hold a special place in the hearts of her grandchildren Nicholas and Danica DeJong. She is survived by sisters Ruth Bates of Brockville and Joyce (Les) Cozens of Toledo. She was predeceased by brothers Carl, Denzil and Kenneth Phillips.
Friends called at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, Morrisburg on Thurs., April 11. A memorial service followed with Rev. Joachim Barkley-Probst officiating. Interment of cremated remains was at Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Morrisburg. Pallbearers were Garth Hazlett, Gordon “David” Wolford, John DeJong and Nicholas DeJong. Donations to the Winchester District Memorial Hospital would be appreciated by the family.