CORNWALL – The services shared between the United Counties of Stormont, Dundas, and Glengarry and the City of Cornwall will be impacted should unionized city workers hit the picket line later this week.

As early as tomorrow (Thurs., May 17), Cornwall staffers represented by CUPE could be on strike should ongoing negotiations break down.

Nearly 400 full-time workers with outside jobs, as well as employees at the Cornwall Public Library and paramedics have been without a contract since 2015.

Provisions are being made to continue operations during any work stoppage. However, in the event of a strike, there will be impacts on a variety of municipal services. Counties residents are asked to take note of the changes to the following services in the event of a strike:

Paramedics and land ambulance
A reduced complement of resources will be available to maintain emergency service coverage. In the event of a major emergency, additional paramedics can be called in to assist. For the duration of any labour disruption, the assistance of the public is needed to ensure those truly requiring emergency services have them available. Call 911 for ambulance assistance if it is needed for severe emergencies such as shortness of breath, chest pain, major traumatic injury or having suffered a period of unconsciousness.  If possible, have someone drive you to a walk-in clinic, doctor’s office or emergency department for all other medical issues.

Social and housing services
The main Social and Housing Services office, located in Cornwall’s Justice Building (340 Pitt St., third floor reception only), will remain open. The Winchester satellite office will be closed.

If applying for home childcare or the childcare fee subsidy, users will be required to attend to the Cornwall office to complete an application and provide the supporting documentation regarding the request.

Ontario Works
Applications will continue to be processed, while applicants can apply online at or by calling the number below. Ontario Works cheques will continue to be processed and mailed out. Some necessary benefits may be processed. For further information, call 613-933-6282 extension 3205.

For Ontario Renovates, Social Housing (Registry) and rent supplement program applications, call 613-933-6282 extension 3315, and your name will be placed on a call list. If you are applying for the Homelessness Prevention Program, you will be required to come to the Cornwall office to complete an application and provide the supporting documentation required.

For more information, call the city directly at 613-930-2787.