The Editor:
Roy Fawcett passed away late last month. He was what many would like to claim to be – a legend in his own time.

Roy was renowned worldwide for his organs and pianos. He was a force in life and, apparently, after life as well. His wife, Shirley, said she hoped to have a sign from him from the other side. This was definitely it.

My husband Pierre and I are new to Winchester, and Roy and Shirley were the only people we knew. Need I say we met Roy through his organ selling business? His impression on us was stellar.

When we moved to our new dwelling in town, we invited Roy and Shirley for lunch. It was then we learned that Roy had also been in the watch and clock business, and knew a few things about tick and tock.

What a coincidence that I had an antique clock on the mantle that hadn’t worked in 20 years. With my temptation to ask and his enthusiasm to look, he did indeed examine the clock and tried to fix it – even though Roy’s eyesight was failing him. I admired his determination.

Unfortunately, the clock did not work after Roy’s efforts. This was all the more reason I was astounded that day I walked through the dining room and heard the pretty chimes that had been quieted for so long. The clock was working!

After a moment of being mesmerized, I got a chill and the thought of Roy flashed through my mind.

I said to Pierre that he better call Roy and see how he is. It was then we learned he had just passed away two days before.

The clock still ticks and chimes. There won’t be a day that goes by that I won’t think of Roy Fawcett.

Christine Dorothy


We’ve dug deep into our archives this week, to a Winchester Press edition from early December 1960, when Roy Fawcett (third from left), then president of the Winchester Chamber of Commerce, along with Len Steck (left) helped bring Santa and Mrs. Claus to the village by helicopter thanks to Spartan Air Services. The chopper landed in the yard at Winchester High School, with a large audience awaiting the arrival.