CHESTERVILLE – The North Dundas Rockets (18-9-0) slipped slightly down the standings of the National Capital Junior Hockey League after losing twice this past weekend.

The fourth-place Rockets welcomed the Cumberland Bandits (17-8-1) to the Chesterville Arena Sat., Jan. 27. The shorthanded Rockets ultimately fell 2-1 to the Bandits in a close contest.

After both goalies made key stops in the first period, North Dundas finally found the back of the net in the second period. At 19:09, Tanner Barnett fired a slap shot into the back of the Bandits’ net after being set up by Nick Sourges and Jack van Kessel.

North Dundas’ lead lasted for three minutes after Aiden Cannell evened the score. Alexi Latimer gave Cumberland the lead after beating Rockets’ goalie Jason Buma. Bandits’ captain Martin Forget sealed the victory with an empty-net goal with 11 seconds remaining in the contest.

Vikings 8 – Rockets 2
The Rockets looked to avenge the loss as they travelled to Papineauville Sun., Jan. 28 to take on the Vikings (22-6-0).

Playing with only 13 players, North Dundas fell 8-2 at the hands of the first-place Vikings. Justin Lefebvre and Tom Fingler scored the only Rockets’ goals in the loss. Jace Legue, Shawn Simms and Connor Roth had the assists on the pair of goals. Rockets’ general manager Rob Sadler said the game against Papineauville featured some poor officiating.

“The game on Sunday, without trying to make excuses, was flat out the most one-sided and biased display of officiating I have seen in the eight years I’ve been involved in junior hockey,” he said. “Those in attendance at the game will understand.”

Sadler pointed to the fact that the head referee was chumming it up in the home team’s dressing room prior to the game.

“It’s reasonable to assume that could mean trouble,” he said. “To put it bluntly, as the game wore on it became more of a comedic affair than an officiated game.”

Roth, Fingler and Brodie Barkley were all hit from behind in the game and the refs didn’t make any calls, according to Sadler.

“While we went to the penalty box six times in 13 minutes during the second period,” he said. “The bottom line is we escaped without further injury or suspension which is a bonus.”

Up next:
Morrisburg @ North Dundas (Sat., Feb. 3, 7:30 pm)